The Modbus Monitor Advanced is an Android app that talks Modbus protocol using several types of interface. This app polls the Modbus Speaking devices for the data right from your mobile devices. The Modbus Monitor Advanced have two modes of operation. It can either run in "Master" mode or "Slave" mode. The operation, configuration, and communication are different based on the mode of operation. Not all of the features discussed in this page may apply to the Modbus Monitor App (Free). The Modbus Monitor Advanced (Paid) covers all features of the free app ; and shines in pro-features, configuration, and ease of data input.
In the "Master" or Client mode, the app polls the remote device to get the data. The data obtained is shown on the display in chosen data format from many (including raw). In the "Slave" or Server mode, your phone or tablet becomes the Modbus TCP Slave Device. So, other devices on the network can poll your phone get the data. The Modbus Monitor have an advantage of having these two modes in one application instead of buying two different application.
The Modbus Monitor have very simple user interface. Most commands are available by single or long tapping the Monitor Point Entry. The diagram below explains the meaning of each items on the mobile screen.
The First Poll (Modbus Master)
When the the Modbus Monitor is started for the first time, you might get several errors indicates that you have no entry. Ignore the error and add new Monitor Point Entry by clicking (+) icon. The entry added is defaulted with values that are more common but no protocol is assigned. If you click "Start Communication", nothing is sent out to collect data until proper Channel and Protocol is selected (at minimum).
1) Add New Modbus Monitoring Point by pressing the (+) icon or click "Add New Register" from Menu.
2) Click on the Monitor Point just added and select "Change" option to configure Polling configuration. Other options on the "Modbus Points Management" are explained in the table below.
3) Once the Data Monitor Point configuration dialog box is shown, many parameters can be adjusted.
4) Go to Parameters Page (Table) to see the explanations for each field in the Monitoring Point configuration dialog box.
5) Click "Start communication" icon to begin polling the data from remote servers.
To learn more about the Modbus Master Mode of operation, go visit the Modbus Master Page.